Remember the day I went to Wexford and bought lots of strawberries 🍓
I turned some of them into this beautiful summer jam. Top a slice of toasted bread with some butter and this jam and you’re up for a treat.
I followed my mom’s technique here, leaving the sliced strawberries sleep in the fridge for few hours. This helps them keep their shape better during cooking.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 800 g strawberries
- 400 g sugar
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Clean the strawberries and let them dry completely before cutting, this way the extra water won’t effect jam consistency.
- Cut the strawberries in half or quarters depending on their size and put them in the pot where you’re gonna cook them.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and mix well.
- Let them sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I let mine sit in the fridge overnight. This step helps the sugar dissolve and ensures strawberries will keep their shape better.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Stir often and keep an eye on the pot while not stirring.
- Increase the heat and cook for another 5-10 min or until jam is thickened and bubbles completely cover the surface of the jam.
- During all the cooking time carefully skim and discard any scum that has risen to the surface, using a clean spoon.
- To make sure it’s properly cooked do the spoon test. Put a spoon in the fridge for some minutes. Once the spoon is cold pour a bit of jam on the spoon, if it’s done it should be nice and thick.
- Once the jam is ready let it sit in the pot for 10-15 min.
- Pour the jam into sterilized jars and close them tightly.
- Let the jars cool completely and save in the fridge.
Leave a Reply