Zucchini is a very comfortable fruit. Yeah, right , it’s a fruit 🙂 In a culinary context, zucchini is treated as a vegetable; it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment. Botanically, zucchinis are fruits, a type of botanical berry, being the swollen ovary of the zucchini flower.
I use zucchini to bake desserts, to make soups, salads, risotto, pasta, pastry cream, etc., etc., the options are endless.
One of my favorite dishes made with zucchini is this savory zucchini casserole with zucchini, eggs, ricotta cheese, hard cheese and oatmeal; a simple vegetable dish that highlights the summer flavors and lightness. It makes a great dinner or a perfect side dish to grilled chicken fillet.
Time : 1 hour & 20 min
Serves : 6 persons
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 250 g ricotta
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup grated hard cheese
- 3 eggs
- Optional : 1 tbs mix of white & black sesame seeds
- Butter – to grease the pan
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees and grease an 24 cm round baking dish with butter.
- Shred the zucchini.
- Chop the onion very-very finely, or grate it with a cheese grater.
- Grind the oatmeal until it reaches a flour like consistency
- In a big bowl mix the shredded zucchini, the onion and ricotta cheese.
- Then add oatmeal and salt and pepper. At the end add the eggs and grated hard cheese.
- Put the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 min.