I’ve always loved the simplicity of galettes. They require few ingredients and the end result is so rewarding.
This time I’m sharing with you a whole wheat cherry galette recipe, which is a summer favorite of mine. Choose the sweetest cherries you could find, get bored pitting them, make a sweet mess around and treat yourself with a nice piece of cherry galette straight from the fridge.
This cherry galette is made using whole-wheat flour for a healthy twist, but in case you want to keep it classic you may use this basic pie crust recipe. The filling is easy peasy, just pitted cherries mixed with some sugar and cornstarch.
I hope I’ve tempted you to switch your oven on these hot days.
Wholesome cherry galette
Yield 10 servings
Whole-wheat galette crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 130 g butter cold
- 3 Tbsp. yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Combine the whole wheat flour, the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the cold butter cubed and mix fast with your hands until you reach a consistency similar to large peas.
- Make a well in the center, add the yogurt and work the dough until it comes together.
- Make sure you are working fast, so the butter does not melt.
- Work the dough into a large disc. Wrap it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill, or a maximum of 3 days. At this moment you may freeze it for later. It stays very well in the fridge for up to 2 months. Just wrap it well with the plastic wrap and put it in freezer bags.
- In case you were chilling the dough in the fridge bring it out 10-15 minutes before rolling, so you can roll it more easily. While, if you were keeping it in the freezer, let it defroze in the fridge and then bring it out from the fridge and let it sit in the room temperature for 10-15 minutes before rolling, so you can roll it more easily.
- While the dough is chilling prepare the filling.
- Pit the cherries and put them in a large bowl.
- Add sugar and cornstarch and mix well.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Once the dough is ready, start preparing the working area.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and also dust a small amount of flour on top of the dough.
- Roll the dough gently, until you reach the desired size and thickness.
- Transfer it to the baking pan layered with baking paper.
- Place the cherry mixture in the middle of the rolled dough.
- Fold the edges making sure that the mixture is well placed in the center.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 40 minutes, the edges should be golden brown and the filling well cooked.
- Let it cool completely then put it in the fridge and let chill for at least 2 hours.
Note: 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml