After all the cookies, and cakes, Panettone, baklava, kadaif and other luscious food, my body desperately needed vegetables, soups, salads.
The first thing I made was this white cabbage & fruits salad that I promised to post since last year. It is fresh and crunchy, light and flavorful, with the perfect touch of winter fruits and a delicious nutty touch from the walnuts.
The dressing is so simple, yet so delicious. The tartness of lemon juice meets the sweetness of orange juice, and of course, plenty of olive oil since I’m a Mediterranean girl.
White cabbage and fruits salad
Yield 2-4 servings
- ¼ of one medium white cabbage head or ½ of one small white cabbage head
- 2 tangerines or 1 orange
- 1 medium apple
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 50 g parmesan or any other hard cheese cut into cubes
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Grated nutmeg
- ½ lemon (juice)
- ½ orange (juice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Thinly slice the cabbage and put it in a big salad bowl.
- Gently press it with your hands until it loses some of its volume.
- Cut the apple is cubes or stripes and add it to the salad bowl.
- Peel the tangerines, or orange and add it to the salad bowl.
- Add walnuts, parmesan cubes, and raisins and mix the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper, add also a pinch of nutmeg and mix again.
- To prepare the dressing put all the ingredients in a small jar and shake it well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, mix and serve.
1 cup = 1 standard cup, 240 ml