One of the main things I’ve enjoyed in my new home is meeting so many interesting persons. One of them was Roni, the guy who helped us assemble the new furniture. He was so loud and happy and had tried so many things in life; it was just amazing.
When Roni was young he worked as a cook in a fish restaurant and I don’t remember how we ended up talking about tomato soup. Roni’s secret to making an amazing tomato soup was adding a poached egg, lightly cooked. How come I never thought about it.
So here I am sharing with you my favourite tomato soup recipe with a lightly cooked poached egg. It is perfect for summer, when the tomatoes are so juicy and tasty, and all we are looking for are light meals. If you’re looking for other savoury meals you may find many recipes on the blog.
Tomato soup with poached egg
Yield 4-6 servings
For the soup
- 1 small onion
- 2 red peppers
- 4-5 medium tomatoes (you may choose the variety you like)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs tomato paste (optional)
- ½ tsp Cumin (optional)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup cream
For the eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Chop the onion and set aside.
- Clean and cut the peppers into small pieces and set aside.
- Remove the skins of the tomatoes and cut them into small chunks.
- In a medium stockpot cook the onion with a drizzle of olive oil, on medium heat until it becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped red pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and water and bring to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking prepare the poached eggs, one by one.
- Use a deep saucepan to heat the water (medium heat).
- Once the water has started to simmer, but had not reached the boiling point add the vinegar.
- Crack one of your eggs into a cup and gently pour it into the water in one fluid movement.
- Depending on the pan, a really soft poached egg should take around 2 minutes and a soft to firm one will need 4 minutes to set.
- When they’re ready, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper remove them to some kitchen paper to dry off.
- Repeat this process with all the eggs.
- After around 30 minutes, remove the soup from the heat and blend it with a hand blender.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and cumin.
- At the end add cream and mix well.
- Divide it into serving bowls and top with the poached egg.
Note: 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml