I love browsing around the internet and discovering new blogs that inspire me. Eat in my kitchen is one of my latest discoveries and I’m sharing with you the first recipe from this blog that I had fun experimenting with. It’s a date and tahini cake, with an amazing nutty flavor that stole my heart in the first bite.
I like to use rye flour for this cake, but you may replace it with all purpose flour if you don’t like it, or if you can’t find it). I really like the dense texture rye flour brings to this cake and also all the nutrients.
Also I’m not a whipped cream girl, I’m a labneh or Greek yogurt girl, so I replaced the whipped cream with a sauce prepared with greek yogurt and honey.
I enriched the flavours with ground cardamom and added few tablespoons of black tahini. I really love this unconventional cake and I found it perfect for breakfast since is not very sweet, has a lot of fibres from rye flour and good fat from olive oil and tahini.
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rye flour (you may replace it with all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 10-15 dates
- 2 tbs black sesame
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- A pinch of salt
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Butter and flour a 20 cm bundt cake tin.
- Mix together tahini, olive oil and sugar and mix well.
- Beat in the eggs.
- After the eggs are incorporated add the milk.
- In another bowl mix both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and sesame seeds.
- Mix the wet mixture with the dry mixture until it gets homogeneous.
- Chop dates and fold them in the batter.
- Pour the batter in the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 50-60 min.
- Let it cool completely before serving.
- It keeps well in an airtight container for up to 4 days, room temperature.
- As I said, I like to serve this cake with a sauce prepared with Greek yogurt and honey. Just mix them together and pour over the piece of cake you are serving.
Get Mandarina recipes via e-mail