I don’t eat meat, since 1 year now, so I’ve experimented with vegetarian balls all the time. I’ve tried them with beans, quinoa, cauliflower, spinach etc. This is a very simple and healthy recipe, which happens to be also one of my favorites.
I usually add a yogurt sauce and transform it into a great light summer lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 kg spinach
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 50 g white goat cheese
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Optional – 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 & 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbs mixed seeds (as usual I use sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Clean the spinach and mint and keep only the green leaves. Cut thinly and set aside.
- Clean the dill and the parsley, cut thinly and set aside.
- Clean and cut the pepper if using
- Chop the onion and cook until soft and lightly browned. Add the ground cumin and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add greens and the pepper to pan and sauté for few minutes, until they have wilted.
- Turn the mixture into a large bowl and let cool for few minutes, then add the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- At the end add the eggs and mix well.
- Shape the balls using an ice-cream scooper and bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 20-25 min.
Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy.