I’m always in search of healthy little treats, and this time I had them just in front of my eyes at my office cafeteria, sesame crisps. Isn’t that amazing? As always I needed to create my own version of it. I made some research online and after two weeks of trial and error, I found my favourite combination to make healthy sesame crisps.
This recipe of sesame crisps is very easy to follow and requires few ingredients, egg whites, butter, flour, sugar and of course sesame seeds. I sometimes add also other seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower or flex seeds, but in very small quantities.
These sesame crisps are super crunchy and tasty and will give you energy on hiking or even when you feel tired in the evening. They are perfect also for children’s lunchboxes or evening snacks so don’t hesitate to try them.
I want to keep them on the healthier side, so the quantity of sugar I use is very small, but in case you prefer it sweeter you made add some more sugar, which will caramelize and give you a nice sweet treat.
If you’re in search of other healthy treats just click here, I’ve plenty of guilt free easy recipes for you.
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbs brown sugar (you may add up to 5 if you prefer it sweeter)
- 1 & 1/3 cups sesame
- 2 tbs rice flour (you may replace it with all-purpose flour)
- 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs melted butter
- A pinch of salt
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Melt the butter and set it aside to cool
- Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and whisk with a fork or a hand whisk until you see white bubbles.
- Add sugar and continue mixing until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add butter and flours and mix again.
- At the end add the sesame seeds and mix until well combined.
- The mixture should be dry and sticky.
- Pour the mixture in a pan layered with baking paper and flatten it with a kitchen spatula until you form a thin layer. The layer must be thin and even for it to become crispy.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and while it is still hot cut in squares (the size you like). You should do this almost immediately you bring it out of the oven, since the sesame crisp is still soft. Once it cools down it becomes very crispy and you cannot cut it in regular shapes.
- Let it cool completely before removing it from the baking paper.
- It keeps very well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Get Mandarina recipes via e-mail