Do you like Brussels sprouts? I started to Brussels sprouts only recently and love them so much. My family never cooked them, while I grow up, since they’re new in Albania, and I wasn’t familiar with them. Such a pity, they’re just adorable and so easy to clean and cook.
I love Brussels sprouts roasted with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. While roasting they caramelize, soften just enough and become nutty and crispy. My favourite combination of roasted Brussels sprouts is with bulgur and eggs. It makes the perfect dinner in no time. The combination of textures and flavours is stunning.
For 4 persons
- 500 g Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Grated hard cheese (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 & ¾ cups brown bulgur
- 2 & ½ cups water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 – 2 tbs olive oil
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Preheat the oven at 220 degrees Celsius.
- Trim bottom of Brussels sprouts, remove any outer leaves if necessary and clean under running water. Dry them using kitchen paper.
- Slice each Brussels sprout in half top to bottom.
- Put the sprouts in big bowl and add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and sesame seeds if using.
- Toss them well and place them in a pan in one layer.
- Cook in the preheated oven at 220 degrees Celsius, until sprouts begin to brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese if using. Their heat will melt the cheese and give a nice texture.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- While the Brussels sprouts are roasting cook the bulgur.
- Place the bulgur in a saucepan with water in high heat.
- Once it starts to boil lower the heat and let it cook for around 15 minutes. After this time it should have absorbed most of the liquids.
- Add salt, butter and olive oil and cook for another 5-10 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the bulgur is cooked but is still a little al dente.
- Add a little pepper at the end if you like.
Add the olive oil in a non-stick skillet set over medium-low. When the olive oil is hot gently pour the eggs in the skillet.
Cook until the white is opaque and the yolk has set, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
Assemble the dish
Place the bulgur and roasted Brussel sprouts in a dish next to each other.
Put the cooked egg on top.
Enjoy while still warm.