I love learning about traditional recipes and experimenting with them. They are paths to the past and make me understand and love Albanian culture and culinary even more.
Red wine liquor is one of the recipes I’ve had so much fun with, because, you know, it includes wine.
It’s practically wine, cooked with sugar and cloves which is kept in the fridge and served chilled, in small glasses, since it is quit sweet. It was offered to women guests when they came over to visit during the communist regime,while to the men we offered raki. At that time there were few choices of drinks and food and people had to get creative with what they had in hand.
This liquor is a great way to use leftover wine or a wine you don’t like very much, since the cloves and sugar change the taste. It makes also a great edible gift along with some homemade cookies.
- 750 ml red wine (any type of wine)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 15-25 gloves depending on how much you like their taste and aroma.
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Put everything in a big pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer in medium-low temperature for around 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool completely, remove the cloves and transfer it into clean glass bottles.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 2-3 months.