Pita bread is a simple recipe of my family that has my heart. You only need flour, yogurt and an egg to make it, and some olive oil to cook it.
Pita bread is delicious on its own, accompanied by some feta cheese and fresh tomatoes, wrapped up as a souvlaki or with a drizzle of honey and some walnuts. I almost forgot how perfectly it matches with hummus or labneh dip.
Homemade pita bread
- 500 g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup yogurt
- Olive oil to cook
- Mix the flour with salt and baking powder.
- Add the egg and the yogurt and mix well, until it all comes together and a soft, but not sticky dough is formed.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
- Divide it in 15 small balls.
- Roll each ball with a rolling pin, in a floured surface.
- Prick with a fork all over the surface.
- Place a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook each pita until it gets a nice brown color on each side.
- Repeat the process with all the balls and add olive oil along the way if needed.
- Enjoy the pita warm, however you like it.
- Hummus or labneh dip are great options. Wrap it and fill it with whatever you like, or just enjoy it a drizzle of honey.