Mushroom risotto is one of my favorite comfort foods. The combination of creamy risotto with mushrooms has some kind of magic in it. It complements very well grilled meats and chicken but stands perfectly also on its own. As every type of risotto, it is a labor of love. Cook it with love and with the best ingredients you can find and you’ll end up with an irresistibly smooth, creamy risotto. For a more elegant flavor, I like to cook mushrooms with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
Mushroom risotto - the perfect comfort food
Yield 4 servings
- 1 & ¾ cups Arborio rice
- 1 small onion
- 4 cups vegetables or chicken stock (warm)
- 60 g of butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup grated hard cheese
- ½ cup white wine
- Fresh nutmeg
- 500 g mushrooms ( I usually go for Portobello mushrooms since you may find them easily in the store)
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch of parsley (optional)
Note: 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Clean the mushrooms with a wet cloth and cut them into big pieces.
- Place a large saucepan over high heat and add the olive oil. Once it is hot add the rosemary sprig and mushrooms and cook on high heat for 10-15 minutes, adding salt and pepper at half of the cooking time.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the chopped parsley, if you are using it.
- When the mushrooms are ready, remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Chop the onion and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the chopped onion and sauté on low flame until soft, for 10-15 minutes. Be careful, the onion should not get brown.
- Turn the heat up and add the rice and some freshly grated nutmeg and let it toast for a couple of minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the wine and continue stirring until the wine has cooked into the rice.
- Turn the heat down and add vegetable broth one ladle at a time and stir constantly. This will take about 30 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the rice finishes cooking add salt, pepper, butter and the mushrooms and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and add the grated cheese.
- Serve immediately.
1 cup = a standard cup, 240 ml