It’s a beautiful day, and all I can think of is spending the day outside. Sunbathing, reading books, playing cards with friends, and of course have delicious food. The recipe I bring to you today is a homemade wrap filled with all delicious ingredients that a Mediterranean country offers: tomatoes, cucumber, olives, lettuce, feta. All wrapped with a slightly crunchy pita bread, easily homemade. A simple sauce prepared with yogurt adds freshness, while toasted chickpeas add crunch and a deep earthy flavor.
- 6 pita breads
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 6-8 lettuce leaves
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 100 g feta cheese
- A handful of pitted olives
- 6 tbsp. Greek yogurt or labneh
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- If you'r making your own pita breads, make sure to follow the step by step instructions in this post. I strongly recommend making pita breads yourself, since they are way better than the store-bought. In case you'r using store-bought pita, don’t forget to slightly warm them before using.
- Start by roasting the chickpeas.
- Carefully open the can. Drain the chickpeas from the can water and set aside.
- In a big pan, add 2 tbsp. olive oil and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas and toast them for 10-15 minutes, or until they start getting a nice brown color.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside to slightly cool.
- Now start preparing the yogurt based sauce.
- In a medium bowl mix Greek yogurt with 2 tbsp. olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.
- Clean the tomatoes and cut them in thin slices. Set aside.
- Clean the cucumber and cut them in slices too. Set aside.
- Cut the feta in cubes and set aside.
- To assemble the wraps, top each pita bread with yogurt sauce.
- Then, add the lettuce.
- Top it with cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cubes, roasted chickpeas and season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy immediately, or wrap them carefully with baking paper and put them in your picnic bag to enjoy later with a Coca-Cola Zero Sugar, Zero Calories.