Sardines are the champions of the seafood world. Reasonable price, delicious flavour and full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, minerals and vitamins. They’re perfect for bruschetta, pasta, or as a main course accompanied by some grilled vegetables. You may choose between fresh or canned sardines, depending on what you have on hand, the fresh ones are always the best.
One of my favourite ways to consume sardines is on pasta. I like to call this dish “Mediterranean pasta”, since I’ve combined together Mediterranean treasures such as sardines, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, olives and mozzarella cheese. The result is amazing <3.
For 2 persons
- 200 g canned sardines
- 8-10 small sun-dried tomatoes preserved in olive oil
- 2 tbs sun-flower seeds
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 10-15 black olives pitted (optional)
- 1-2 tbs lemon juice (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Pasta of choice for 2 persons – around 160 g
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Open the canned sardines and discard the can oil or water. Put them in a glass bowl.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes over kitchen paper so it absorbs some of the oil.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese in small pieces and add them to the glass bowl.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and add them to the bowl.
- Then add the olives, the sun-flower seeds, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and lemon zest and the olive oil.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add them in the glass bowl where we have all the other ingredients.
- Mix well, check if it needs more salt and pepper, add the chopped parsley and serve.