Lemon and poppy seed cake is one of my favorites. It is super moist, rich and easy to make. The lemon juice and zest gives it a wonderful fresh flavor and the poppy seeds add a little bit of crunchiness.
Lemon and poppy seeds cake is like a synonym to spring for me, because of its nice bright color and fresh taste. I believe it has a right balance between tart and sweet, but if you are not a fan of tart flavor you may need to cut a little bit in the lemon juice. I use olive oil instead of butter, because I love how well it matches with lemon flavor and add a little bit of vanilla, to enrich the taste. I usually serve it without any topping, but if you are feeling naughty , you may add a layer of cream cheese frosting.
I switch between baking it in a bundt cake form to muffins quiet often. It’s delicious both ways, so the choice is yours.
Lemon and poppy seeds cake
- 3 large eggs
- The juice and zest of 2 small lemons (you may use only one, in case you prefer it less lemony flavored)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ¾ cup yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- A pinch of salt
- 250 g mascarpone
- 30 g butter
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Butter a 22 cm bundt cake tin or a regular muffin tin (12 muffins) and preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, vanilla and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Mix the eggs and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice and beat on medium-high speed until combined. Then add the olive oil and yogurt, and beat again.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing each addition just until incorporated (be careful not to over-mix).
- Pour the batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes inside the pan.
- Remove from the pan and let it cool completely.
- As I previously mentioned I prefer it without frosting, but in case you like it, you may top it with a cream cheese layer.
- Cream the butter, mascarpone cheese and honey.
- Spread it on top of the cake and sprinkle with poppy seeds if you like.
1 cup = 1 standard cup, 240 ml volume