It’s lasagna o’clock. I can’t think of another recipe that has the power to bring all the family together, with such joy and well hunger. :p Besides that lasagna is perfect to feed a crowd, and for a big family like mine, is the best Sunday lunch solution. No big family, no problem, you can enjoy your lunch and save the rest for later since lasagna freezes and reheats well. Imagine to have a delicious piece of homemade lasagna on the freezer whenever you need it. Sounds like heaven to me.
You can play with your favorite type of cheese, but when it comes to lasagna I go with the classic combination mozzarella and parmesan, then I loveeee to fill it with vegetables. This adds some layers of flavor and texture. To spice it up, I’m always in a big dilemma, should I go with basil, with oregano, or a combination of both. And you, what do you prefer?
Yield 8 servings
- 1 package of no-boil lasagna (255g)
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 8 tbsp. olive oil
- 400 g mozzarella sliced or shredded
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 750 g tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- A bunch of fresh basil very finely chopped
- Chop onions very finely and set aside.
- Clean and cut the carrots in small cubes and set aside.
- Clean and cut the eggplants and zucchini in small cubes and set aside.
- In a big pan saute the onion and carrots with 2 tbsp. olive oil until the onion becomes translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add 2 more tbsp. olive oil, the zucchini and eggplants and saute for few more minutes, until the vegetables start getting tender.
- Remove from the heat and add them to the cooked carrots and onions.
- In a big bowl mix the tomato sauce, milk, 4 tbsp. olive oil, oregano, chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna, place few tbsp. of the mix of sauce at the bottom of a 20 cm x 30 cm casserole.
- Place lasagna sheets on top. Add some more sauce and add a layer of the mix of vegetables.
- Top with mozzarella slices.
- Repeat this process until the last layer.
- At the end top with sauce and the parmesan.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven at 180 C for 40-50 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let it slightly cool before serving, so it will be easier to cut.