I really enjoy shortbread. Easy to assemble, sweet and tasty, pairing perfectly with a cup of tea in the evening.
All you have to do is mix together butter, sugar and flour, then enrich the taste with spices, fruits or jam.
I love to add a little bit of semolina flour to make it super crispy. Why not also some sesame seeds and coconut to add flavour and make it prettier?
So, I ended up with this beauty.
Yield 16 squares
- 100 g softened butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup semolina flour (If you don’t like semolina or have difficulties to find it, you may replace it with all-purpose flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs black sesame seeds
- 1 tbs white sesame seeds
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup fruit jam ( I used cherry jam)
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add flour, semolina, baking soda and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press dough into a 24 cm round pan and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, and then spread the jam. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and Put it again in the oven for 15 min. Remove from oven add the coconut and leave in pan to cool for 10-15 min.
- Remove from the pan and cut into individual portions. Let it cool completely and keep it in an airtight container for up to a week.
Note: 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml