I love winter days because we naturally stay more at home, so I spend more time cooking.
One of my all-time favourite recipes is making gnocchi from scratch. Gnocchi is a pasta type that contains potato in the dough, and it’s one of the easiest pasta to make at home.
The best part about it is that the whole family can help prepare them, including the kids! They are not just a meal but also a cute family activity.
Another advantage of making gnocchi is that you can store them in the fridge and have them ready for whenever you would like to cook them.
Homemade gnocchi with pesto
- 900 gr potatoes
- 300 gr flour
- 1 egg
- Extra flour aside
- 3-4 tbsp. of pesto (ideally homemade)
- 3-4 tbsp. pasta water
- Clean the potatoes, put them in a big pot covered with water, add some salt and bring to a boil.
- Once the potatoes are ready, they should be soft enough, so you can easily pierce with a fork or a knife, remove the water and let them slightly cool. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes, so they don’t absorb too much water. Another suggestion would be to boil them without peeling the skin and then peel them and make the puree.
- Mash potatoes and then add flour, a beaten egg and salt.
- Use your hands to combine ingredients, until the dough comes together. Place the dough on a surface with flour and divide it into small parts.
- Roll the dough with your hands and form cylinders, then cut the gnocchi into small cubes (1-1.5 cm). Put aside the gnocchi you will cook right away. Place the others on a baking pan on a single layer, and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. After this, remove from the pan and put the gnocchi in special plastic bags suitable for freezing. You can store them in the freezing section for up to 3 months.
- Now let’s go back to the ones we are cooking.
- I chose to use pesto but you can use any of your favourite sauces. Bring water to boil in a cooking pan with 2 tbsp. of salt.
- When the water starts boiling add the gnocchi. For a 4 person serving, you need 3 cups of gnocchi. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes until they rise to the surface.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Mix pesto with pasta water (3-4 spoons) in a small bowl.
- When the gnocchi start floating on the water surface, drain them and add the sauce.
- Mix well.
Serve right away with a salad and your favourite drink. Mine is an ice-cold Coke.