Hiking seasons is officially open, so it was time to share with you my recipe for these crunchy granola bars I brought them with me on an intensive hiking weekend on the North of Albania, and all my friends enjoyed them.
These granola bars are crunchy, sweetened with honey or maple syrup and with a very nice nutty flavour coming from tahini. You may replace tahini with your favourite nut or seed butter.
I love to add ground cardamom for a spicy touch, but in case you don’t like it or don’t have it, they really good even without it.
The crunchy granola bars are pretty easy to assemble and keep well for weeks. They are a great hiking food and also make a great food gift.
Crunchy granola bars
Yield 16 bars
Easy and delicious granola bars perfect for hiking.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup uncooked millet (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit such as dates or raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini(or any nut or seed butter you like)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or olive oil, or sunflower seeds oil)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Warm coconut oil until completely liquefied.
- Add maple syrup and tahini and mix well.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients and press the mixture into a 20x20 cm baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 25-30 min. by this time the edges should be lightly brown and the surface gold.
- Let it cool completely before cutting it with a very sharp knife.
- These bars keep well at room temperature for about 2 weeks.
1 cup = 240 ml
These crunchy granola bars are vegan friendly 🙂