Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle, full of chocolate flavor, these coconut macaroons are irresistible.
I’ve done them so many times, because they’re so easy to make and everyone loves them. It’s one of the few recipes with which I’m happy and I’m not working to improve.
Good news for gluten intolerants, omit the all-purpose flour or replace it with rice flour and these cookies are immediately transformed in gluten free cookies.
- 2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Whisk the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl, until completely combined.
- Pour the coconut over the egg white mixture and stir until the coconut is evenly moistened. Add flour and continue mixing.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix again.
- Shape the coconut mixture into small balls using an ice-cream scooper.
- Bake the macaroons until golden, 10-12 minutes, in the preheated oven at 180*.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can keep the macaroons in an airtight container for up to a week.
Note : 1 cup= a standard cup of 240 ml