I made these cheese biscuits for my birthday some months ago. My better-half was their biggest fan. When I asked him why, he said: “Cheesy, crispy, spicy… What can you ask more?” Well apparently, not everyone is a fan of the “Spicy” characteristic. When I made them for a bake sale at the offices, some colleagues thought they’re too spicy, so if you’re not into the spicy food you may omit the red pepper. You may omit oregano too if you’re not a fan.
These cheese biscuits are very easy to make. You may cut them into different shapes like you do with the sweet cut out cookies, or just cut them into round shapes like I did this time. If you want them super crispy cut them very thin. I prefer these cookies medium thin, approximately 0.5 cm.
It’s the perfect snack for a match or movie day, that may replace the store bought chips and stuff, full of additives.
Crispy cheese biscuits
- 100 g butter (softened at room temperature)
- 85 g hard cheese
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper – you may omit it if you don’t like spicy food
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg & 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tsp water or milk ( if needed)
- Black sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Mix flour, salt, spices and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Mix softened butter with cheese and until well combined. Add the egg and the egg yolk and mix well.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined. Add the water if needed.
- Shape the dough into cylinders and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 30 mins at least.
- Shape the cookies, sprinkle the sesame seeds and bake in the preheated oven at 180* for 12-15 min, or until golden brown.
1 cup = a standard cup of 240 ml