Bulgur salad is one of my favourite summer plates, because it is fresh, tasty, colorful and ready in few minutes. I usually prepare bulgur salad in the morning and take it to work.
It is full of the best summer ingredients and one of my favorite grains, bulgur. Bulgur is wheat that’s been parboiled, dried, and cracked into small bits. It cooks fast and tastes sooooo good. Bulgur is most common in European, Middle Eastern and Indian cuisine. I usually use it into salads, for extra taste, crunchiness and fiber intake.
This is my version of bulgur salad that I usually cook in summer, but you may play endlessly with it by adding different vegetables, nuts and spices.
Serves 1 person as a main dish or 2 persons as a side dish
Time : 30 min
- ½ cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 fresh red pepper (optional)
- 30 g feta cheese (optional)
- 1 radish
- ¼ – ½ bunch of parsley
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tbs lemon juice, depending on how much you like lemon flavor
- 1 tbs olive oil
Note : 1 cup – a standard cup of 240 ml
- Put bulgur with water in a small saucepan in medium heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients. Clean and chop the tomato, parsley and pepper (if using) and put them in a small bowl.
- Clean and slice the radish, crumble the feta and add it to the bowl.
- Add bulgur, lemon juice, olive oil and sunflower seeds and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.