This recipe was pure serendipity. I once bought some almonds that were on sale, and they happened not to be so good, they weren’t perfectly fresh and crunchy, so I had to use them immediately. I toasted them in the oven for about 10 min, let them cool completely and grind them to make almond meal, which was surprisingly easy to make.
I had absolutely no idea what to do with the almond meal, if there aren’t plenty of choices out there, and surprisingly had few ingredients in the pantry. One thing I knew, was I wanted it to be healthy, so I came up with this very simple and healthy recipe of almond mini-cakes. It reminds me somehow my macaroons recipe, which is made almost the same way. If you also want to check the macaroons recipe please click here.
So, to make this recipe you only need almonds, egg whites, honey and baking powder. You may also use a bit of almond extract for extra flavour, but it is totally optional.
Makes : 15 mini-muffins
- 1 & 2/3 cups almonds or almond meal
- ½ cup honey
- 3 medium egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of almond extract
Note : 1 cup – a standart cup of 240 ml
- Start by toasting the almonds in the oven for about 10 min. You may skip this step, but it really enhances their flavour.
- Let them cool completely and then grind them in the blender, or food processor.
- Mix the almond meal with the baking powder.
- Add the egg whites, honey and few drops of almond extract.
- Mix well and pour in the mini-muffins molds.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 160 degrees Celsius for about 12-16 minutes
- You may also use standard muffin molds, they might require a bit more time to bake.
Voila 🙂 now you have a perfect treat, high in proteins and good fat, sweetened only with natural sugar, and also gluten free, for those who consider gluten their enemy.