While complaining about Dublin weather and how much I need my summer, I kind of love that I can comfortably bake all year long. I remember back in the days when I was living in Albania, that baking in summer was mission impossible – to hot to switch the oven.
Almond cake recipe
- 100g butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven at 180 C.
- Layer a 20 cm spring form pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Separate the whites and yolks of the eggs and put them in two different bowls.
- Beat the whites until a thick, glossy merengue is formed. We’re looking for medium peaks here, so don’t overwork them. Leave the whites aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add sugar to the yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add room temperature butter, vanilla & almond extract, and beat until well incorporated.
- Add flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder and mix.
- Start incorporating the whites in the batter bit by bit. I usually do this in 3 batches. Work careful, so the whites are well incorporated but not deflated.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Let cool completely in a wire rack before serving.
- I love matching it with fresh cream & fresh fruit.