Warning, this post is actually a bit long and includes recipes, picnic tips, a very beloved collaboration and some personal thoughts 🙂
Internet is this magical place where we can meet people that share the same passions as us and help one another to get the best of ourselves. I’ve met Ina, an amazing human being and a great self-taught photographer in real life, but we didn’t actually know each other properly until we started following each other on Instagram and discovered that we shared the same passion for beautiful photography and delicious food.
So, we decided to do a collaboration, where I would cook something simple and Ina would photograph it. While we were exchanging thoughts on what this mysterious recipe should be, Ina had these amazing idea, to have a picnic and not only photograph it, but also have a great time with each other.
Picnics are just the perfect way, to enjoy the good weather, great company, and great food.
The first thing to carefully choose when you decide to have a picnic is the spot. Choose a good spot with both sun and shadows so you can enjoy both, and don’t forget the view. We all want that Instagram picture to remind us of the great day we had. If you want to play outdoor games don’t forget to choose a spot with a nice field and some big trees.
Then, come the props. Keep it simple and light, but don’t skip the necessary things. A tablecloth or picnic blanket, a sharp knife, some napkins, wet wipes, forks and spoons, if you’re having more than finger foods, and of course a rubbish bag, to collect the mess before leaving the place.
Insect repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats are a must. And if you’re a gamer, board games and playing cards are a must too. For those who like to keep it quiet, a good book is a great choice, and if you would like to listen to some other sound rather than the birds singing bring a music player with you.
Now let’s talk about food 🙂 my favorite part. Pack fruits and nuts, which taste delicious, pack well and are perfect to give you long-lasting energy. I’ve chosen seasonal fruits like apples, pears, grapes and peaches, and one of my favorite nuts, almonds.
You should keep yourself well hydrated, so don’t forget to bring water and other drinks you like, cold beers and wine are a nice choice. I’ve prepared some flavored water, for this picnic for extra vitamins and flavor, but still water is also a simple and great choice. To keep your drinks fresh, keep them in the cooler, load it with freezer-packs and don’t forget to keep your cooler in the shade.
I like to pack ready to eat and already portioned food in my picnic, everyone takes his portion and leaves no mess behind. Muffins and sandwiches or wraps are a great choice. I made some muffins filled with apple, raisins and sunflower seeds and some delicious wraps with hummus, sautéed vegetables, and grated cheese.
Ina took many beautiful photos, we enjoyed the food and the nice weather and we’re looking forward to our next collaboration.
Vegetarian wraps which can easily be made vegan by skipping the cheese
Yield 6 wraps
Easy to make and super delicious vegetarian wraps.
- 6 wheat wraps
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 3 peppers
- 10-12 sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 cup grated hard cheese
1. Start by cooking the vegetables.
2. Clean and cut them into strips and cook with a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan, over medium heat.
3. Once the vegetables are cooked start assembling the rolls.
4. Spread 1 tbsp. hummus on each wrap.
5. Top it with sautéed vegetables and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
6. Add some grated cheese on top and carefully roll the wraps.
7. Once you have assembled all the wraps, put a big pan over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil or a knob of butter.
8. Put the assembled rolls and cook for 30 sec on each side. Let them cool completely, before packing them.
These wraps are vegetarian and can easily made vegan, by skipping the cheese.
Oatmeal, apples and raisin muffins
Yield 12 muffins
Simple and delicious muffins that are perfect for breakfast on the go, as an evening snack or to take with you on a picnic.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 100 g butter
- 2 medium eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 medium apples
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Prepare a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
3. Melt butter and set aside to cool.
4. In a big bowl beat together eggs and sugar.
5. Add melted butter and milk and whisk well.6. In another bowl mix
6. In another bowl mix flours, oatmeal, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
7. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
8. Core and peel the apple and cut it into small cubes.
9. Fold the apple cubes in the batter.
10. Divide the batter in the cupcake pan and bake in the preheated oven for around 22-25 minutes.
11. Let them cool completely before packing them for the picnic.